30 years old. trying to conceive. What should be done to improve anti mullerian hormone?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Infertility Problem
Question: AMH of my wife is 0.46. My wife is 30 yrs old .. is it very difficult to concieve. can i get some remedy to improve her AMH
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thanks for your reply. I read your query and understand your concerns. Following is my reply:

1) Anti Mullerian Hormone (AMH) is one of best indicators to check ovarian reserve ( Means no. of eggs remaining).

2) Normally it should be more than 1. But your report says 0.46 which is very low.

3) AMH alone is not an indicator of ovarian reserve. Hence I advice you to get 2 more tests before taking final call : a) Serum FSH b) Antral follicle count by transvaginal route. These both needs to be correlated with AMH report.

4) Since AMH report could be wrong I suggest you visit an infertility specialist and get above tests done and repeat AMH.

5) AMH levels unfortunately cannont be improved as it shows no. of eggs in reserve at ovary. If eggs are less, they cant be improved.

I hope I answered your query. Please get back to me with above reports.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 39 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

Her FSH is at 10.5 and her ovaries in the present cycle are having around 3 + 1/2 follicles in left and right respectively.

Doctor is suggesting for IVF. But there will be a hestirolaproscopy done tomorow. based on that IUI or IVF will be chosen.

Sir, Cant we become parents. ? We are in highly stressed mode. Can you please let us know and suggest us. Are we in correct path.?

Should we not try naturally? Should we go for IVF immd so that we dont waste time. How drastic fall will be AMH count and follicle count every cycle?

Dont know which is correct. Please help us.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 13 minutes later

Thanks for updating. I understand your concerns and the following are my comments:

1) FSH values are high and AMH is low. It means ovarian reserve is dropping sharply. Therefore I feel it is advisable to go for IVF immediately.

2) I do not recommend IUI, considering your FSH and AMH values. Please go ahead with IVF directly.

3) If you are going for IVF there is no need for laparoscopy; only hysteroscopy is advisable.

4) I don't think you need to undergo laparoscopy as IVF is a better solution. The result of laparoscopy is not relevant. Please visit a reputed IVF centre and plan your treatment better.

5) If you need more guidance, I will be pleased to discuss with you before undergoing laparoscopy and share my views with you. Please feel free to call XXXXXXX customer support team on 0000 and they shall guide you in arranging the call.

Looking forward to talk to you...

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF &Infertility Specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad