30 years old diagnosed with temporomandibular joint. Which specialist should I consult?

Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in TMJ
Question: Who is the correct specialist to see to follow-up on a 30 year old diagnosis of TMJ. Insurance doesn't cover dental care.
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us,

I would like you to know that TMJ related problems are usually dealt by a dental specialist (oral surgeon); but as you mentioned your insurance does not cover it, therefore I will advise you to see a bone specialist (orthopaedics) or a neurologist.

The cause for TMJ pain can be a muscle, bone or nerve dysfunction.

Kindly see an orthopaedics doctor soon.

I hope this answer was useful. If you have any further queries, kindly write back.

I wish you good health...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad