3 years old with stomach pain. No diarrhea or vomiting. Virus infection?
I've had him at the doctors twice now and they think just a virus but he's getting no better and is upset more by the stomach pain. On the first day he went to toilet normally but hasn't now going on three days. Still urinating frequent. A urine test turned up nothing. Constantly asking for me to massage his tummy as it fells better
Thanks for writing to us.
We understand your anxiety. Pain in the abdomen without fever or diarrhea rules out gastroenteritis. As you have not mentioned, I assume that pain has no relation with the food. Let me know if this assumption is correct.
Pain in the abdomen in this age group may be due to inflammation in liver
(hepatitis), appendix, pancreas, abdominal lymph node or it may be nonspecific pain which usually subsides on its own.
In few cases even after full investigations it is difficult to reach the diagnosis.
So now I would suggest to give him some antispasmodics along with some antacids after consulting the physician.
If pain persists for more than a week then an ultrasonogaphy of abdomen may be needed.
Till then don't get anxious as in most of the cases if there is no obvious finding on clinical and laboratory examinations (already ruled out by your doctors) this pain respond well to conservative management within a week or so.
Let me know if you have any more concerns.
I wish him good health
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Intense stomach pain diarrhea weakness vomiting is it serious
- Bad stomach pains and diarrhea
- Stomach pain vomiting diarrhea reason
- Persistent diarrhea stomach pain
- Stomach pain bloody stool vomiting diarrhea issue
- Stomach pain and diarrhea cunnilingus
- Sharp stomach pain vomiting diarrhea
- Vomitting and diarrhea with stomach pain what is the remedy
- Stomach pain and diarrhea
- Fainting stomach pain diarrhea