Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

3 year old with swollen discolored penis due to injury. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My 5 year old grandson pinched his 3 year old brother's penis. It is swollen and the tip is discolored. How should we treat this and how long will the swelling and discoloration last? Will he have a problem urniating with this swelling?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 27 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

First of all the severity of the injury needs to be assessed, by a doctor preferably, since the penis and urethra are delicate organs prone to damage even with minor injury.

If there is swelling and discoloration it indicates that there has been bleeding inside. The time required for the swelling and discoloration to subside may vary from few hours to a couple of days depending on the extent of damage. Likewise he may or may not have problem in urination depending upon presence or absence of injury to the urethral opening or tract.

Sometimes if urethral duct injury has occurred it might lead to complications like stricture or pediatrician to assess him, clean the area with an antiseptic solution like betadene, and prescribe appropriate anti-inflammatory analgesics to relieve the pain and swelling. If he can't pass urine even after pain relief then he might need further investigations to rule out any complications.

Alternatively if immediate consultation is not feasible you can do the following till then.

1. Avoid tight clothing or bandage or scratching by the kid, keep area open after cleaning.
2. Watch for passage of urine if he passes clear urine without much difficulty then most likely its a superficial soft tissue injury not involving urethra and you might wait for swelling to subside in a couple of hours.
3. If you notice any increase in swelling or area of discoloration or child does not pass urine after two hours of injury then please consult your doctor promptly.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor