3 weeks child on cypon drops. Started feeling cranky and passing loose stool. What to do?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: Hi, My 3 weeks firl baby was advised with CYPON drops (cyproheptadine, hrdrochloride,tricholine syrup) and it was the first day we tried this drop but for the whole night she felt cranky, sleeplessness, passed on stool multiple time, should we continue the drop ?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Can you write to me why you are giving this medicine for such a small baby
Opinions will vary!
Personally I will not give this to a small baby.
This contains a substance which is supposed to stimulate appetite and as a side effect can cause restlessness.
The best thing is to avoid unnecessary medicines in the first 3 months at least!.
Now only breast milk and nothing else!
And treatment for cold and cough only when indicated!
See whether motions become alright when you stop the medicine.

All the best
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 22 minutes later
My doctor has advised this medicine because that we told her that baby is not sleeping and feeding well.

Will stop this immediately but baby also developed cold , any drops you can prescribe?

Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 33 minutes later
If it is only cold wait for some time.
Keep the baby warm
Cover the ears when there is direct blast of air.
Again medicines will have lot of side effects.
If there is nasal block you can use normal saline nose drops.
If there is fever take her to the pediatrician because within one month fever in a baby should be treated with antibiotics.
For severe cold if absolutely necessary,one can give decongestant drops like Tminic.
Dr Uma

Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 days later
Hello Doctor.

My Baby(3 weeks) developed a small boil on left side lower eye lid and also the upper eye lid is pinkish in color(more in left eye and less in right eye) since birth.

The boil is now less but the pink color is still in eyelid. could it be due to eye nfection? do i need to take here to doctor for checkup?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 24 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

If the pinkish colour is there since birth you need not worry.
It must have been noticed by the doctors who have seen him so far!
From your description it does not look like infection.
Is your baby very fair complexioned?
Sometimes normally the eyelids outer aspect may look like this! In fair babies.

Any way I hope you are not doing eye massage with oil or use XXXXXXX in the eye.

However if it looks really abnormal,please consult the doctor.
There is nothing wrong in clarifying your doubts and getting convinced rather than worrying about a problem!!

Good luck
Dr Uma