3 days ago I started having heart palpitations every few

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2018 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: 3 days ago I started having heart palpitations every few seconds, but it only happens when I’m sitting down or laying down. When I stand there is no palpitations. The symptoms is also worse at night. It feels like my heart skipped a bit and I can feel it in my throat, when I feel my pulse I can feel that it also pauses the moment I felt the heart skipped a beat. And around the same time I’m also having GERD and indigestion, I’m not sure if those two can cause palpitations.

I’ve experienced the same palpitations about 4 months ago, also when I was having GERD and indigestion symptoms, that time the palpitations lasted about 6 days before dissapearing on its own. About 2 months ago I did an ECG and 24 hour holter, results are all normal.

I do have anxiety and recently I slept very late and was quite stressed with family things.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stress, anxiety and GERD related.

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

Since you have had normal ECG and Holter results, the issue is unlikely to be an abnormality of the heart.

Your anxiety, GERD and family stress can all cause such symptoms.

Palpitations are very commonly seen in people who suffer from anxiety.

So, you need to work on reducing the stressful situations in your life and try and deal with anxiety appropriately which includes cognitive behavioral therapy from a psychiatrist and medications if indicated.

GERD can be managed with a PPI like pantoprazole or omeprazole and antacid combination.

Please consult your local doctor and discuss this with her/him and go ahead with the appropriate referrals and medications.

Your PCP/GP should be able to help you out with both.

I hope I was able to help you with your problem.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 6 hours later
Thanks. Will these much palpatations be dangerous to my heart? When I first wake up in the morning I get no palpatations for like a minute or two, then when I started thinking about it the palpatations starts, and it just keeps going for the whole day unless I stand up. Should I take Nexium to see if it help settle things up?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, palpitations can persisting for many days can be dangerous.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

Persisting palpitations which are caused by anxiety can put strain on the heart, hence on the long run they can cause thickening of the muscle of the heart and can also increase blood pressure.

From your description, it is quite apparent that the cause is anxiety. What you must understand now is, your heart is fine, you must consciously divert attention from palpitations and do not think about it as you have no problem with the heart.

Please talk to a psychiatrist and take treatment.

Worrying about a non-problem will only make things worse over time.

You can take nexium, it will help with GERD.

I hope you feel better soon.

Best regards
Follow up: Dr. Yogesh D 7 hours later
Thanks. I took Nexium this morning and by early afternoon the palpitation frequency had reduced. However later in the afternoon I got into a big argument with someone and was very upset. Soon after that my palpitation frequency increases to about once every 5 seconds! Now I’m worried it’s going to take a long time for it to settle down now.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Avoid confrontations and stressful situations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

You need to somehow manage the life situations, I know it is not easy.

Avoid getting into confrontations and stressful situations as much as you can.

Stop worrying excessively, short term palpitations do not cause any harm.

The palpitations are because of anxiety and stress, not due to the heart.

You should consult your psychiatrist for adequate management of anxiety.

Please try to relax your mind, meditation helps some people with this, so you can try it out.

I hope you can relax and calm down.

I wish you the very best.

Bye for now