Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

29 years old. Is it possible to increase height through exercise, stretching or diet?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14848 Questions
I am 29 years old married and have a 3 year old child. My height is 5 feet. Is it now possible to increase my height through exercise, stretching or diet? I have heard that height can increase upto the age of 35 if the body produces HGH - high growth hormones which can develop from exercise and diet? Is this true? If I do skipping or swimming or say join a gym will my height increase? Please guide.
Posted Sun, 17 Feb 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

At the end of the long bones in children (the arms and the bones in the lower limb) are epiphyseal cartilage which is turned into bone as the child grows.
At the end of puberty, usually about 17 to 18 , this cartilage is replace by what is called an epiphyseal line, it is basically sealed and no further bone can be added.

Growth hormone can influence the final height of a child because they still have have cartilage at the end of the long bones which can produce bone but it would not affect adults in this way.
This is the reason children who have excess growth hormone may become very tall but adults with excess growth hormone develop a condition called agromegaly,, they do get taller.
In agromegaly, excess growth hormone results in increase soft tissue (increase size of the nose, increase size of the fingers etc)

Exercises such as pilates and yoga can result in stretching and increase in core strength which may improve posture and the illusion of increased height.
The exercises you described will improve fitness and health but will not affect your height.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor