28 years old, getting angry for no reason. Any mental imbalance?

Dr. Sundar Gnanavel

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Mental Health
Question: Hi,My husband of 28 years has started to get very angry over nothing, to the point of punching a hole in our bedroom wall.This is the first he has been violent what do you thinbk is wrong? He is 58 years old should I be alarmed ?
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 5 hours later
Hello.....
Thanks for your query. After going through the history, the possibilities include onset of dementia, the disorder of forgetfulness which may start with aggressive acts similar to what you described and late onset psychotic or mood disorder which is unlikely unless he has history of recent stroke. I believe there are no significant stressful events in your family of late based on your history. What he now requires is a thorough psychiatric and neurological evaluation with a MRI-brain to rule out the above conditions i mentioned. Subsequently suitable drugs mood stabilisers/ anti-dementia drugs can be started. Would be glad to answer any further queries.
Dr Sundar
Neuro-psychiatrist