Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

27 years old. Have less facial hair growth. Is there any treatment available?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
How to grow moustache and beard, i am 27 still my facial hair are not growing and in crowd i look the youngest and feel any tips or treatment is available
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The moustache and beard growth is under genetic and hormonal contact.
Genetic factor is the inherited one.If your father and grandfather had very few facial hair or late facial hair growth then it is likely that you will have it also .
Hormonal factor is dependent on testesterone level.
You need to get your testesterone level checked.If it is low it can be a cause of lack of facial hair.You can be given testesterone injections which can cause beard growth in your case.
The cause needs to be determined first before suggesting treatment.
Also I would like to know-
Do you have other features normal like pubic /axillary hair?
Do you have normal genital development?
Do you have normal voice and all?
Did your father have similar pattern of facial hair?

Answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.
I will be available for follow up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 27 years old. Have less facial hair growth. Is there any treatment available? 4 hours later

Thank you for your advise. My Father and Grand Father had a very good facial hair, infact my younger brother who had is facial hair at the age of 19. Its only for me my facial hair is very less in our whole family. Other Pubic hair are good. Lower part of my body i.e. below hip hair growth is good. Only above part like chest and facial hair i dont have much hair.

my voice and other growth are common like other man. Voice is hard and have normal growth except my facial hair everything is fine with me.

Facial Hair also i get but is very less. I have hair only on chin and moustache like a chinese only in corner it grows and if i shave i get pimples . So need your suggestion.

If you can give me our contact details or address of clinic i can visit you. So that you can see me physically and advise further......

Thank you and awaiting for your futher assistance.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 19 hours later
Thanks for details.
You need to get a endocrine work up get done.
You need to get few blood test done.
The tests include
-Serum free testesterone
-Serum total testesterone
-Free T3,T4 ,TSH levels
-DHEAS level
Depending on the test results you can be started on testesterone therapy .This can grow facial hair .
You need to consult a endocrinologist for this process.
With proper medication you can have normal hair growth.
Hope this helps.
DR Sudarshan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 27 years old. Have less facial hair growth. Is there any treatment available? 30 minutes later

Thank you for your suggestion.

Can you kindly help me refereing an good specialist endocrinologist doctor in and around Bangalore, Karnataka. So that i can follow with him.

Awaiting for your suggestion.

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 44 minutes later

Dr XXXXXXX is a qualified endocrinologist for such problems in bengalore.

DR XXXXXXX MD, DM (Endocrinology), Columbia Asia Hospital
Kirloskar Business Park, Bellary Rd, Columbia Asia Hospital, Hebbal, Bangalore, Karnataka 0000
077 95 0000
You can undergo the investigations and treatment under his consultation.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor