27 weeks pregnant. Is it normal to feel movement in lower abdomen?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Question: My daughter is 27 weeks pregnant and says she feels the babies(she is having twin girls) are much lower in her abdomen. Is this normal or something she should call her dr. about?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

You didn't mention according to what criteria your daughter is saying that the babies are smaller in size.
In twin pregnancy the uterine size will be somewhat bigger than in singleton pregnancies.
So we can expect around 28 weeks size of the uterus in your daughter's case.

By 28 weeks:
-The the distance from the pubic symphysis to the fundus of the uterus should be around 28cms.
Reference: WWW.WWWW.WW
-The fundus should be around 4 fingers width above the upper border of the umbilicus.
Reference:http://labspace.open.ac.uk/mod/oucontent/view.php?id=0000§ion=10.4.1

Try to measure the uterine fundal height by above two means, if you think that the uterus is really smaller in size better to consult a gynecologist once and let your daughter undergo ultrasound which will clarify the doubt.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
I mistakenly stated her age. XXXXXXX is 37.5 years old. Don't you think tjis requires at the very least a call to her Maternal-Fetal Specialist?
Addendum-She doesn't sat the babies are smaller just lower and "I can breathe better XXXXXXX
Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 18 hours later

Usually the presenting part will descend at the term gestation or at the onset of preterm labor.
In term gestation that descent will relieve the pressure on the diaphragm by this the patient can breath better.
In twin pregnancy the uterus size will be more than singleton pregnancies as I told previously.
So there is a chance of some descent of the presenting part which might have led to your daughter feeling as the uterus is lower than normal.
As the chance of preterm labor is more common in twin gestation and also as she is elderly gravida, yes, it is better to consult the doctor once.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

At your advice we convinced our daughter to call her OB physician. His response was that the babies are just "settling" and there was nothing to worry about as long as she was not bleeding or having contractions. She is satisfied with this answer because she "feels fine XXXXXXX He said he would see her if she wanted, but did not think there was anything to worry about. Of course, I now look like a "neurotic grandma XXXXXXX Should we be satisfied with this explanation?
Also, at 28 weeks are the babies viable if she does go into labor?
Thank You once again, XXXXXXX (The Neurotic Grandma)
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 21 hours later

I can understand your anxiety. You are not a neurotic grandma but a caring grandma.
As your daughter is not having signs of preterm labor like pain abdomen, bleeding, increased vaginal discharge etc., if you are having access to reach the hospital whenever needed you can wait and watch.
The fetus will become viable around 24 weeks.
But the survival of the fetus usually depends on the hospital and the facilities available there. In tertiary care centre survival of 28 weeks fetus is possible.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Thank you sooooo much for your time and concern! Yes, I am at times a worried grandma to be. XXXXXXX did call her OB physician and repeated exactly what you said.
We live in an area where we have access to Centers of Excellence in Maternal Medicine and Pediatrics. She is symptom free as of today so I am much relieved!
She is now 28 weeks pregnant so I am so hoping and praying that she can keep those sweet little girls in the "Oven" for at least another 4-6 weeks!
Once again, thank you for your expert advice and also for calming down this nervous grandma to be!
Best Regards, XXXXXXX
I'll keep you posted and write if I have future concerns or questions.
Is it for 1 month that I have access to you as far as questions go?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later

You are welcome. Hopefully your daughter will complete the pregnancy successfully without any complications and will have healthy babies.
You can ask me till the completion of your followup questions.
After that if you want to ask me, I will be available through this link:
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 days later
Dear Dr. Sree Gouri SR,
Thank you for your response. I just have another question. XXXXXXX says she feels one of the babies is really "active" but the other baby she doesn't feel as often. Is this normal?
Thank you for your time, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 hours later

Usually both babies will move equally. Sometimes when one gestational sac is behind the other one or in case of single gestational sac when one baby lies behind the other the mother may appreciate the movements of the one baby more.
And also as the babies can change the positions constantly it is difficult to demarcate between the movements of the babies.
Anyhow this time when she consults her doctor let her undergo ultrasound once to rule out any disparity in between the two babies.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 days later
Hello Dr.,
I do have another question. Amy's Baby A is head down but Baby B is breech. If Baby B remains breech will it be safer to do a c-section? If so, do they give Spinal anesthesia or General? I read that for multiples the rate of c-sections is around 72%, is that correct? Thank You once again for your reply.
Best Regards, XXXXXXX

The positions of the babies can change as she is only 28 weeks at present.
The mode of delivery depends on the presentation of the first baby.
If the first baby remains in cephalic position at the time of labor then vaginal delivery can be allowed.
After delivery of the first baby the position of the second baby can change. Even if the second baby remains in breech also vaginal delivery is possible. If the delivery of the second baby delays more than expected then cesarean may be needed.
Compared with singleton pregnancy cesarean section rate is somewhat more in twins but it is not as high as 72%.