26 years old, slightly overweight. Done with lipid profile and HDL tests. What diet should I take?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Diet Plans
Question: my age is 26 yr
height 172 cm
weight 82 kg
lipid profile cholestrol 219mg/dl, triglyceride 249 mg/dl, HDL 58mg/dl, LDL112 hg/dl
i am a north indian living currently i kerala
i diet chart i have to follow
plz prepare a diet chat for me
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
According to your height and weight your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 27.7 kg/m. This is considered as slightly overweight, where as the normal BMI range is from 18.5-24.9 kg/m.

In order to decrease your weight and cholesterol levels, it is necessary to have diet modifications and lifestyle changes. Your diet should be high in fiber and includes complex carbohydrate XXXXXXX foods and low in fat. Include more of raw fruits and vegetables in the diet; avoid saturated fats and oily fried food stuffs. Keep yourself much hydrated and take at least 3-4 litres of water every day.

If you are a rice eater, then restrict on rice to one meal day a day. Have whole grams, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables at least twice a week.

Never skip your breakfast because it kick starts your metabolism for the day.

To start the day, eat a healthy breakfast with all essential nutrients, with any one fruit in the morning. Try to avoid oily fried foods like vada, poori, etc., and also chutney made out of coconut or groundnut. Instead choose sambar or onion / tomato / mint / Coriander chutney. You can try taking Corn flakes or Muesli or Oats with skimmed milk and a fruit.

Take XXXXXXX tea without sugar as a mid-morning snack along with some hi-fiber biscuits. XXXXXXX tea helps in fat not being stored in the body and also aids in inch loss.

For lunch, restrict on rice, take two Roti without oil , with vegetables and dhal along with a glass of Skimmed Buttermilk. Include salads on a regular basis to increase the fiber content in the diet and avoid sweets, pappad, pickles which are high in calories.

During evening, have a very light snack like boiled corn or any fruit or a katori of sprouts or two slices of wheat bread sandwich or low fat fruit flavoured yogurt.

Have an early dinner before 8 pm, avoid rice and any preparations made from rice during this time, have either roti made with wheat flour or jowar flour without oil or any preparation made out of ragi or Broken wheat along with vegetables and dhal, include salads also.

Bedtime - a fruit or a glass of skimmed milk or buttermilk can be taken.

Fruits like Banana, Seethaphal, Sapota, Avocado, Watermelon, Mango and all Root vegetables (except radish, turnip, carrot) have to be avoided in the diet.

There should be a gap of 1.5 hrs- 2 hrs time interval before you go to bed, after dinner.

Chicken or fish can be taken twice weekly, preferably in a curry form without coconut or cashew nut used for the preparations. Boiled egg white is preferred rather than whole egg.

Keep yourself much hydrated by taking at least 3-4 litres of water every day will make sure that you remain healthy.

Along with diet modifications, a minimum 30-45 minutes brisk walk or physical activity of moderate intensity which improves overall health. Include 'Warm-up' and 'cool-down ‘periods, before and after the exercise regimen. Forty-five minutes per day of moderate intensity physical activity will help in controlling your cholesterol levels.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 hours later
thank u mam
i want to eat fruits 2 time ina day breakfast and in evening
i get banana XXXXXXX pomegranate orange pineapple in d market
i have to avoid any of these or its ok i drink 4 times coffee ina day
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can avoid taking banana. Rest of the fruits can be taken.
Do reduce the intake of coffee to 2 cups per day.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.