Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

26 years old, had polio, one leg is thinner than the other, can walk and run. Can surgery cure this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 4361 Questions
I'm 26 years old and had polio at 2 years old on my right left which causes to be thinner and shorter than the left leg about 3 inches. I can walk, run, swim and do other activities like a normal person. It just my right leg is weaker than the left. I had a brace for my right leg which helped my walking. I don't like braces because it interferes with my outdoor activities and have not wear it since 2005. My question are; is it possible for surgery to cure my right leg? If so, what kind of surgeries and where? I am not looking for 100% cure. Just something to help my walking as normal as possible and possibility regrow muscles and nerves on my right leg. Thank you very much for reading.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

I understand your concern. I could have helped you better if you had mailed me the picture of the right leg. There is an option to upload your pictures or reports here.

Polio is a disease that makes the affected limb weaker than the other because of reduced nerve supply to the affected limb.

The surgical correction of the limb is done in the following setting

1. Stabilization of joint- knee, hip, foot.

2. Arthrodesis- artificially fusing to joints to help in better mobility

3. Limb lengthening using the ilizarow technique

4. Joint replacement surgery

Each surgery has to be customized to suit your needs. A detailed examination to analyze your limb, locate areas where the mobility is restricted or hyper mobile can help in planning a proper surgery if needed. Post surgery you will be in a position to use your limb in a much better way than now.

It is best to approach an orthopedic set up which has doctors who specialize in limb lengthening, joint replacement and also arthrodesis. Post surgical physiotherapy also is a must.

I hope I have answered to your query, if there are no follow up queries please accept my answer

I wish you all the best

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor