Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

26 year old. Is it possible to increase height?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14972 Questions
hi dr,my age is 26 my weight 38 height 5 inch how to increase
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It would be possible to increase your weight and muscle mass but unfortunately not your height.
Height is mainly determined by genetics. During childhood and adolescence, there is an area at the end of the bones in the legs and arms that is involved in adding bone or increasing length.
Near the end of adolescence , this area stops making new bone and does not allow for any increase in height. This is the reason that using growth hormone in children can cause them to grow taller but if it is used in adults the same thing does not happen.

You can, however, increase your weight and muscle mass. This can be done by increasing the amount of calories that you use.
Calories are the energy that is found in food and drink.
You can increase the amount of calories by using high calorie foods such as nuts which are high in calories, adding butter or high calorie dressings to your salads and vegetables,increasing the amount of foods used with each meal and using snacks such as cheeses, peanut butter.
If you increase your protein intake ,it will help with your muscle mass. Protein is found mainly in meats but can be found in peas and beans for example.

Doing strength training exercises with weights will also help with muscle mass.
The use of yoga and pilates is thought to strengthen core muscles and by improving posture, may give the appearance of increased height.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor