Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

153 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

25 years old and don't have beard growth. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 254 Questions
Im 25 year old male, i dont have beard growth, I have moustache but not thick, im worried about it, Is there a way to rectify it?
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
I understand your problem.
Hair at axilla, beard and pubic areas are sexually dependent and hence become active only after puberty.
The fact that you have some hair shows that your sex hormones are functioning normally.
How ever you may have to undergo the following tests in consultation with your dermatologist.
They are
1. DHEAs levels
2. Testosterone levels
3. Thyroid profile
4. Serum ferritin levels
If all these hormone profiles and iron levels are normal, then you may have to use minoxidil to strengthen your hair.
we can rectify the growth or increase the growth to certain extent only.
Please do remember that genetic factors are also involved in making thick hairs on the beard or upper lip.
Hence I advice you to consult your dermatologist at Cochi.
If you want I shall recommend Dr. XXXXXXX Mathai Ph: 0000 at KathariKadavu.
Have a nice day XXXXXXX PVS
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 25 years old and don't have beard growth. What should I do? 1 hour later
Hello Sir,

Thank you sir for your advice

Yes I would like to consult Dr. XXXXXXX Mathai

Sir,Is minoxidil proven to increase beard growth ?


Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 12 hours later
Thanks for your interesting question. Minoxidil should work in all hairs which are androgen dependent ie including beard hair. But, unfortunately there are no evidence based studies in this regard. Hence I said out of my personal experience.
regarding the consultation I already spoke to my student Dr. XXXXXXX and you can XXXXXXX him. he will help you.
have a nice day once again,
Prasad PVS
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist