Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

25 year old experiencing physical and sexual abuse, cant tell anybody. What should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1852 Questions
Well to start it off I'm 25 years old and I was adopted as a child. Every since I was little I use to imagine that my friends are around me and we conversate, joke,laugh,dance,etc. I stayed in the house growing up because my mother wouldn't let me go anywhere or talk on the phone. I experienced verbal & physical abuse from my mother and sexual abuse from my father. Also I tend to get mad very fast and easily. I have a few friends but I find it hard to talk to people like I'm clueless on what to say. I can call someone and I let them do all the talking because I don't know what to say. Also while I'm at work or anywhere I go when someone asks me a question or anything I tend to slur on my words. Do I need help or anything?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Eating Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later
Thanks for your query.

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     25 year old female
•     History of alleged physical and sexual abuse
•     Family History of bipolar and schizophrenia
•     Complaints of: interaction with imaginary friends, getting mad easily (?anger outburst), difficulty in talking to others and slurring

Considering your family history of psychiatric illness, alleged physical and sexual abuse and symptoms mentioned by you, I strongly feel that you are in great stress.

Consultation with psychiatrist will help you greatly. During psychiatric evaluation a psychiatrist can also find other problems which you are facing but not able to mention yourself and will help you to find solution. He may give you some medicines to reduce your distress.

Apart from that he can counsel your family members to improve your interaction and their behaviour with you.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor