Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

24 years old. What should I do to gain weight?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
I am a 24 year old male. I am so lean. Especially my hands and legs. My height is 175cm and weight is 45Kg. please help me to gain some weight
Posted Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 28 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Really, you are underweight. Your body mass index is approximately 15. Normally, it should be maintained between 20 to 25kg / square meter. According to this, your body weight should be maintained more than 61 kg.

To increase the body weight, you have to take nutritious diet. Among the various dietary supplements, protein is the main thing which can increase your body weight. For this I am giving you some idea about the supplements you can take.

1. Whey protein - it is very much important for building muscles. Take the whey along with oats and olive oil.
It is available in market in many trade names. You can choose any one of them as per your economic condition.

2. Multivitamin medicines containing zinc and other micro-nutrients.

Besides this, you need a good diet plan starting from breakfast to dinner. You should consult with dietician about this.

Lastly, one liver protecting agent like sorbitol should be taken to improve the metabolism of the foods you are taking.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 24 years old. What should I do to gain weight? 22 minutes later
I would like to consult with a doctor . Is a Physician is the correct person?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 6 hours later
Thank you for writing back.

Look, you should consult with your family physician or general physician.

Hope you have your answers.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor