Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

23 years old. Noticed hair below chin. What should I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 689 Questions
I am a femaile age 23.I have got many hair below my chin recently.I didnt get my mentural cycle last month.what should i do
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 32 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

Since you have irregular cycles with problem of pimples, unwanted facial and body hair, I presume you are having POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME (PCOS).

This is a condition where cycles get irregular. They are delayed and once you have there is generally heavy bleeding. All this happens because you have hormonal imbalance in this condition.
The other problem you can have is tendency of weight gain.

If you have all these problems, I suggest you to a visit a gynecologist. A proper physical examination followed by certain tests are required to make a diagnosis.
Hormone blood tests (LH, FSH, PROLACTIN, TESTOSTERONE) along with ultrasound abdomen may be required.
A thyroid function blood test is also needed to rule out thyroid disorders which can also present with menstrual problems.

I would also mention that if you are sexually active, then the first thing you need to rule out is pregnancy if you have missed your period. You can do a home urine pregnancy test for the same.

DO NOT worry.
PCOS is very common and is completely curable.

Kindly revert back if you have further queries.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor