Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

21 years old. Is it possible to increase height?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
i am 21 years old and i am trying to be little bit taller. Is there any way that i could be tall like 3" or 4" more by the way my height is 5' 3"
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for the query.
The height of the man increases till the age of 21 years and cannot improve further.
According to human physiology, around the age of 21 years bones get closely joined together and they do not develop further,so the height of a male increases till 21 years of age, but we can’t absolutely say that height does not increase after this age. We can say that the development won’t be visible as it was earlier.

If you are 21 then and you are not happy with your height, it does not necessarily mean that you should give up as there will still be a chance that your growth plates haven’t closed (only an x-ray can tell you this).
One of the important factors in determining the growth is growth hormones.this hormonal activity comes to a balanced state in the body after some time.
 The best way then to improve your growth during this point is to increase the amount of growth hormone in your body by getting more sleep, and also by taking hot showers and exercising which also results in more growth hormone,doing yoga and stretching.

Failing all this, if your height  affects your confidence and lifestyle, then there surgical procedures available that can increase the length of your legs by breaking them and pulling them apart so that they heal between the gaps. This however is a very painful procedure that requires you to endure broken legs and bolts drilled into your bones for months or years.
 The real best solution to the problem then, is simply to value the benefits of being slightly shorter and to come to terms with your natural height.
Be happy and enjoy your life.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 21 years old. Is it possible to increase height? 55 minutes later
I heard there is some kind of medicine that can increase human growth is that true?..couse I saw a lot of advertisement about that kind of products.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
As I explained you above,the most important thing is to know whether your broth plated have been fused or not.So get an x-ray of wrist joints done to see whether growth plates have fused or not.
If they are not fused,then you can consult a doctor who can prescribe some growth hormones,otherwise there is no medicine which can have any effect on the growth.
Don't go by any advertisements as they generally be fool the people and are away from reality.
If growth plated are fused,then you have only natural ways to increase the height,as mentions above.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor