21 month old have high fever. Given 0.5 ml calpol. Started loose motion. Safe to give taxim O?

Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

My 21 month son got high fever on 14th Dec, I gave him 3.5 ml calpol as per my doctor's advice 3 times till next day, the fever came down , he showed up some signs of stomcsh problems same day but that did not extended, but on 16th night he started acute llose motions and we gave him "Econorm" twice aday till 24 hrs, we started with Zanocin per Doctor's advice on 17th night with Econorm, both twice a day, but no relief till today, can we switch to Taxim O now? waht else is suggested?
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 8 minutes later

It looks like your child is suffering from acute gastroenteritis.

Most of the times it is viral, so need not worry, especially if he is taking orally, does not have fever and there is no blood in stools. Changing antibiotics usually does not help. It takes its own course. Very important to keep him adequately hydrated. Ensure he is passing good amount of urine and give it some time. He should be better. If you are too worried, get stool routine test and culture done.

Hope this answers your query.

Please do reply in case of any further questions.

Wish him a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan