Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

2 years old recovering from severe cough and having slight fever. Noticed whitish stuff from ear. What to do?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 1964
Answered : 246 Questions
My daughter is 2 years 8 months old. She is recovering from severe cough. She had slight fever too. I had consulted a doctor for the cough and was asked to do nebulization. The cough has subsided and is in the last stages. Last night she has been crying off and on complaining of ear pain. I looked into the ear and could see some whitish stuff. Is it just ear wax? Or something else? Please suggest what I should do.
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 8 hours later
I am sorry to hear about your daughter. This is not normal and she probably has an infection of the outer or the middle ear/ When somebody has a cough, the infection commonly spreads to the ear, through a tube which connects the ear to the throat/
You would need to consult a pediatrician for this. Till then, give her plenty of fluid and paracetamol at a dose of 15 mg/kg 4 times a day for the pain.
Kindest regards
Dr. S.K.Mukherjee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor