Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

2 years old, had surgery for intestinal obstruction, doctor cut the appendix accidentally. Again surgery for pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My nephew is 2 years old. He had a surgery related to intestinal obstruction six months back. During that time the doctor had cut the appendictis. Now, again the child got pain in his right side of belly. He is admitted in hospital yesterday. And the doctor is saying , it is the same problem again. The doctor may do a surgery again . As a child of 2 year, this is a major concern for parents. I am asking you : Is this disease permanently curable . How he can be cured permanently. And if the doctor do a surgery,can we say he will not suffer this problem again. Please help
Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Intestinal obstruction is a condition which can arise due to various causes some infective , some congenital or due to chronic disorders of gut.
I would require a few more details of the case like symptoms ,investigations done ( reports), final diagnosis ( intussusseption or malrotation etc) .
For each condition the treatment differs. In some cases permanent cure is possible whereas in other cases recurrence is common.Surgery is curative only of the obstruction is due to a malformation or physical causes( intussusseption) . In infective or inflammatory causes medical treatment might also be required.
Also if the appendix is once removed there cannot be further appendicitis , it's likely that the pain could be due to obstruction of the large intestine.
Please let me know the details so that I can guide you better.
Awaiting your response,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor