Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

2 year old stuck a q-tip in ear, have bleeding. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 332 Questions
my 2 year old stuck a q-tip in her ear and now its bleeding what should i do
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 12 minutes later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears that q tip has caused trauma in the ear canal or in the ear drum (with or without ossicles)
If the bleeding has settled it would advise you to AVOID PUTTING ANYTHING IN EAR CANAL and consult a ENT surgeon as examination will help us to know the severity of injury in the ear canal or ear drum. If the injury is in ear canal only it will settle with the medical treatment. If there is an injury in the ear drum you will need medical treatment and will have to AVOID PUTTING ANYTHING IN THE EAR CANAL. In almost 95% of cases drum heals by itself in 6 to 8 weeks time. If the injury involves ossicular chain also it will require surgery.

If the bleeding has not settled I would advise you to put a cotton plug in the outer part of the ear canal and go to a hospital emergency for examination and for the severity of the injury so that the correct treatment can be initiated.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you need more information about it

with warm regards
Ravinder Sharma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor