Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

2 year child having motions started with vomiting. What medicine should be given?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12677 Questions
Hello Doctor, My 2 year old child is having motions which is initially started with vomitings. He is not taking water or electrolyte drinks even if we force him. We plan to take him again to doctor in the morning. What do you suggest us to do ? He is not even taking milk now.
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Diarrhea and vomiting in children is usually brought on by gastrointestinal (GI) infections caused by viruses, bacteria, or parasites. Most likely it is viral infection.

The main motive of treatment is prevention of dehydration. Preventing or treating dehydration in infants focuses on replacing lost fluid and electrolytes (sodium and potassium). Administering special fluids by mouth (oral rehydration therapy) is the most effective way of doing this.
Since your child is refusing to feed and oral fluids, an indoor treatment is necessary for him where adequate parenteral fluids can be administered.
You need to consult his pediatrician for an appropriate treatment.
Till then you can allow him to rest and give him a light snack of his choice. Fruit juices may also be helpful. Avoid giving him milk for a while.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor