Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

2 year child having grossly elevated liver enzymes without jaundice. Concerned

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Grossly elevated liver enzymes without jaundice in a 2 yr old

Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Grossly elevated liver enzymes without icterus ( yellowish discoloration of skin sclera etc ) can be most probably caused by hepatits A virus infection which is a common cause of jaundice in children .
In some children the presentation might be atypical like liver enlargement , fever , elevated liver enzymes without much hyperbilirubinemia etc in contrast to the usual presentation of jaundice .
Sometimes there can be other causes for such anicteric hepatitis like chronic hepatits b infection , other bacterial or viral infections like leptospirosis , dengue etc , metabolic disorders ( mostly inborn ) or drug induced causes of hepatitis .

The next best step would be to consult a pediatrician or pediatric gastroenterologist who can confirm the diagnosis by carrying out blood test like viral markers ( hepatits A , hbsag etc) , coagulation profile and an ultrasound abdomen.The treatment is mostly supportive like that of any acute hepatitis and includes Intravenous fluids , liver protective agents and multivitamin supplements apart from symptomatic treatment .

Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor