Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

2 year child having cough, stuffy nose while sleeping and red eye. Should I go for medical check up?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 926 Questions
My 2 year old daughter has had a bad cough for the last 2 almost 3 weeks, stuffy nose and when she sleeps, she is drenched with sweat. Underneath her eyes is also red and sweaty. Should I take her to the hospital?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Cough more than 2 weeks needs to be evaluated. So, yes , I think your daughter should visit her paediatrician.

In the meantime I would suggest the following:

1. Give your daughter warm fluids to drink at regular intervals. Warm water, hot chocolate (Something she likes to drink).

2. Try to do steam inhalation (under parental supervision) 3 times a day. Maybe you can also join her and do steam inhalation together. Please be careful, don't stay too close to the steam.

3. Humidify the air by boiling water in a kettle and leaving it on, in a corner of the room when the child is sleeping . Never leave the child unattended with the kettle on in the room.

All the above measures might help by providing warmth, and relieve the chest congestion making it easier to breathe.

You might also want to give her 1 teaspoon of honey mixed with a pinch of freshly ground pepper powder 3 times a day. Might bring down the cough.

At any time if your daughter develops bouts of coughing, rapid breathing, high fever(temp. > 101 F),lethargy , drowsiness, grunting etc, please visit the hospital immediately. These are the danger signs.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer.

Any reviews are welcome.

Hope your daughter gets well soon.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor