19 weeks pregnant. Sonography showed low lying placenta. Any complication?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: hi , i am 26 years old woman, pregnant 18-19 weeks, my first trimester was smooth and good and i am doing good after that also, today i had a sonography and it says low lying placenta and it is driving me crazy my appointment with my OB/gyn is after 2 days so please i want to know that what does it mean and what should i do know.i m attaching the report copy.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 33 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, placenta generally present in the upper part of uterus. But, when it is low lying, it indicates a high chance of developing placenta previa. Placenta previa is a condition where the placenta blocks the way of delivery. It can also leads to bleeding during pregnancy.

But, it does not always mean that you will develop placenta previa. The position of placenta generally changes along time. That means, the placenta may get back to its normal position before delivery.

But, till then you should take complete bed rest. Avoid doing any heavy work.

Be cautious. If you experience any bleeding / pain in abdomen, consult with your treating doctor immediately or rush to emergency of any nearby hospital.

So, right now, just take complete bed rest and be cautious. And you can consult with your treating doctor at the scheduled time.

Hope, this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 16 hours later
thank you so much doctor,
it helps me a lot, hope you saw my reports that i attached.

I live alone with my husband and there are lots of stuffs to do in my daily routine,
So kindly advise me that what type of rest i should do? Can i go to do my basic needs.
how much time i should spend on bed, nd what bed rest exactly means.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, it is better to avoid as much daily work as you can. Do not take any heavy thing.

Complete bed rest means, you have to get up from bed only when you have to take foods and when you have to go to bathroom.

But, practically it is not possible to take complete bed rest. You can do light works. But not too much.

That is all you have to do.

Regards.