19 months 12kgs, fever 103 With running nose, clear thin

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Sun, 17 Feb 2019 in Child Health
Question: 19 months 12kgs, fever 103 With running nose, clear thin water from nose, light cough, tried calpal for half a day no improvement, took him to doctor he gave meftal p 3.5 me and ziprax 100 Mg dry 3ml two times, fever comes in intervals, not continuous for last 3 days gave 5 doses of meftal so far only when temperature goes up, fever is not continuous it comes once in day time and mid night when I give meftal the temperature decreases in about hour, when visited the doctor he gave meftal p with ziprax 100, is it safe? I was suggested to try with meftal only first and if the fever doesn't come down to take ziprax, can I give meftal and ziprax together or should there be any gap between the two medicines? It's been 3days so I wondering please help. Is it safe to start antibiotics? I have never given him one before.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibly due to viral cause.Irrespective of treatment it may last for 7days

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics like Ziprax are ineffective in such cases. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days. However, if you have already started Ziprax it would be advisable to complete the course. If given in the right dose Ziprax is safe.

If your child has fever with temperature more than 100°F, you need to give paracetamol (P-250, Crocin or Calpol) to it bring down. Also use tepid sponging. If paracetamol is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you need to use Meftal-P (mefenamic acid) which is more effective. The minimum gap between two doses of Crocin is 4-6 hours. The doses of Crocin and Meftal P are independent of each other. Minimum gap between doses of Meftal P is 6-8 hours. However, I do not think that they would be needed to be used simultaneously. In the right dose Meftal P is safe but it can cause gastritis and abdominal pain.

The two medicines can be given together. They would be given preferably after meals. Meftal P or paracetamol needs to be given only if there is fever.

Please be patient. It may take a few days for the recovery to occur. It should spontaneously resolve in 5-7 days.

Hopefully that would help. Feel free to write back in case of further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D