18 months old. Had tubes placed for double ear infection. Vomiting regularly. What should be done?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: I have an 18 month old daughter who has suffered from back to back double ear infections, had tubes placed in her ears(the tubes did not stop the ear infections), has also suffered chronically from congestion supposedly due to allergies, but the congestion causes severe coughing to the point of vomiting. This congestion and vomiting is occurring everyday, with the vomiting episodes happening 3-4 times a day. Yes, she has been on prescription medications for all of these issues. The doctor doesn't seem all that concerned, which is aggravating to me. I am tired of her being on antibiotics and medications that don't seem to get rid of the problem, and quite frankly don't even mask the symptoms. I don't believe an otherwise healthy child should be on medications all the time. I think she should see an pediatric allergist/immunologist, but her doctor wants me to wait it out. I just don't see why she has to suffer everyday.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I am sorry to hear about your child 's suffering!
Basically what your girl has ,seems to be allergic problem!

Myringotomy tubes will not prevent infection. They are put to relieve tension in the middle ear so that spontaneous perforation is avoided.
The basic problem of cold and cough has to be treated separately.

Regarding her frequent attacks ,are they accompanied with fever or wheezing attacks?
She must be having post nasal drip that is nasal block leading to trickling down of secretions in the back of throat down the stomach. This will lead to vomiting usually more in the mornings
Some antihistamine and nasal decongestant medications should help.

The doctors have to decide whether her problem is
1- repeated infections- then they have to rule out immuno deficiency conditions other than usual viral infections.
2 allergy.- family history of allergy or asthma is a predisposing factor.
In this case you can look for triggering factors at home or environment.
Keep the house clean from fine dust,molds etc.
Allergens vary from one person to another and usually food allergens are rare
Allergy testing can be done.

Children get over from these episodes as they grow.
God bless
Dr Uma