Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

17 year old. Is it possible to increase height?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
My son is 5 feet 3 inches at 17 years old. Is there a way to boosy his height at least 3 more inches?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXX,Thanks for writing in.The height you have mentioned is good enough but slightly less for men.The ultimate height a child gains is basically a genetic function and not much affected by environmental factors or hormones etc.At 17years most of us have mature bones which do not grow in length and for that reason no gain in height. Although it is also a family trend, some men continue to gain height till 21years age.A good nutritious diet with high protein intake and outdoor games and exercise are the most promising options and may give 1-2 inches more and is worth trying.Some use growth hormone but it helps only those who have it's deficiency.Still other option is the surgery called Ilizarov technique which can give length to limbs but more of a choice for freaks.I hope you would be benefited by the advise.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor