Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

17 months old child started with vomiting and diarrhoea. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1964
Answered : 246 Questions
My son, who is 17months old. and used to never get sick, got sick while at daycare on Tuesday Oct 30th. he was sent home because of vomiting and diarrhea. He threw up and had diarrhea the rest of that day, wed and thursday. On Wed I took him to the dr and the dr barely looked at him and said he had a stomach virus, if he kept vomiting after 2 days to take him to the ER. Well Friday he had nothing, not even a bowl movement. Saturday morning, when we pulled him from his bed, he had vomit all over his bed. I called the Advise line, and they told me to just observe him and only take him in if he isnt keeping down fluids either. Well he is fine during the day, but for the second night in a row, he has thrown up at some point in the middle of the night. We got him out of bed today and he had thrown up. he doesnt wake up when he does it, or at least there is no sound. Should I just take him to the ER? He doesnt even act like himself anymore, he used to be very indepentant, and happy. He'd run around playing. now he is clingy and has to have me holding him no matter what... what could it be and what do i do??
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 27 minutes later

Thanks for the detailed description.

I definitely think your baby definitely has viral gastroenteritis. This is self limited condition and soon settles down. However in a few causes it can result in dehydration.

The baby as per your description is probably showing signs of dehydration - as you mentioned he has not act like himself any more. I strongly advise you to take the baby to ER or back to his pediatrician for clinical examination. He may need IV fluid to correct his depleted fluid. He may need blood tests to assess the degree and type of dehydration.

In the mean time get Electral sachets and dissolve a XXXXXXX to 300ml of boiled and cool water and feed the baby frequently.

Hope this helped. Please contact me if you have other worries.

Kindest regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor