Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

16 years old. Noticed swelling on chest nipple and surrounding. Will it go away on its own?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My son is 16 years old with normal body growth and and his height is 182 cm,and weight is 54 kg.From last few month his chest nipple and surrounding has swollen and he is feeling embarrassed in his friends circle.Iam staying in Adampur Jalandhar punjab.I visited the genral physcian he told no medicine for this problem you wait for some more months it will be ok or if you want surgical treatment can be given.please sugest me for beter treatment.
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 22 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
The condition your son is having is called Gynaecomastia .Gynecomastia is usually secondary to the normal hormonal imbalances between testosterone and estrogen that commonly occurs during puberty (pubertal gynecomastia) and it may affect up to 40% of adolescent boys during puberty,
It is physiological or normal phase of development during this teenage .
It should resolve once he completes his pubertal stages and attains adult maturity which may take few months to years.
Yes , your doctor has rightly advised that there are surgical procedures to remove fat from the male breast in cases of abnormal Gynaecomastia .
However as of now I do not think your son needs any such procedure.
Sometimes, treatment may be required if he has very large breast development, if it is not regressing, or if it is causing a lot of stress or anxiety in your child.
Male breast growth that has not stopped by three years, may not go away. In these situations, an evaluation by an experienced Plastic Surgeon can be helpful, either to provide further reassurance or to surgically remove the breast tissue. Surgical sculpture in skilled hands can be a simple solution for this problem.

So please reassure your son and have patience as this is a normal phase of development which will self resolve with time.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor