Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

16 year old with a tight frenulum, pain while retracting foreskin. Will the insurance cover for penile health treatments?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12677 Questions
my friend is 15, when he was 14 he went to his family doctor and told her of having a tight frenulum. He believes he has frenulum breve. When he is flaccid he stretches it out flat and it bends at a angle, and when hes erect, it is unconfortable and some what painful to pull the foreskin back and past the Coronal groove. The doctor disregarded it because of his age and told him to wait until he was 16. Now hes only 5 months away and theirs still no change, How does he ask for a Referral to a urologist? from his G.P. and hes been researching treatments, such as stretching, frenulumoctomy and circumcision. Would the government insurance cover a procedure like those if it was deemed necesarry to his penile health, or would he have to pay out of pocket? and can he as a teen chose which procedure he wants and needs?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

A tight frenulum is commonly seen in children and in most of the cases the skin becomes elastic enough to retract over completely by the age of sixteen. In minor cases, self manipulation helps in full recovery.

In your friend's case, waiting for 5 months more will be advisable. He can ask for a referral to the urologist from his G.P. after that.

Government insurance covers the procedures like frenulectomy or circumscision as these are necessary for penile health. Yes, as a teen he can choose the appropriate procedure after consulting with his urologist.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor