Owl Image

15 days old passing frequent stools. Is this normal?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
Our daughter is 15 days old . She feeds every two to three hours . From last three days she is passing motion 10-12 times . Every time it watery , golden yellow with a sound . She usually cries just before and during passing motions. Please let us know if this is normal ? She breast feeds for almost a hour every two hours . Is that OK
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Yes it's normal for newborns to feed frequently and pass stools frequently , some may have around 10 bowel movements per day .
It's normal for them to cry or feel uncomfortable during urination or defecation .
Yes some babies do comfort feeding and suck on for prolonged periods but usually all babies breastfeed for about half an hour or so not more than that.
Considering the details you have provided there is a possibility of this being a normal pattern most probably. However if it's a sudden change since a couple of days and the baby was passing regular stools and comfortably prior to it , then there are chances that this is a result of a gastrointestinal infection.
Now this can only be confirmed by a stool routine test . I would recommend you consult your baby's pediatrician if the frequency of the stools increase or your baby starts losing weight , so that the test can be done and diagnosis confirmed.
As of now if it's been the same pattern since a week or so and baby's growing well then you need not worry or do anything about it.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.

Follow-up: 15 days old passing frequent stools. Is this normal? 25 minutes later
Thank you very much for your reply . Actually the frequency of motion have increased , and usually it is just one or two drops . She will fine all day but will start crying in the night and start passing motion very very frequently

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
In that case it's important to get her evaluated by her pediatrician and get a stool routine and culture test done .
This can confirm wether there is any infection so that appropriate antibiotic treatment can be started .
Meanwhile make sure that you are exclusively breastfeeding the baby frequently to maintain her hydration.
The doctor might prescribe anti colic medications for her colicky abdominal pain like colic aid or colimex etc.
Make sure that the maternal diet is a high fibre easily digestible one with XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and salads. In case the mother is on antibiotics , there is a possibility of a antibiotic induced diarrhoea in the baby which will self resolve once the medicine is stopped.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery.