Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

13 year child's hand started hand trembling. Should I go for check up?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1964
Answered : 246 Questions
My daughter is 13 and has just come downstairs with her left hand trembling. You can visibly see it trembling. She said that she can feel it in her forearm too. When i hold her hand it stops. What is this? Should I take her to the hospital?
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 3 hours later

Thanks for the query.

I am sorry to hear about your daughter. If it is an isolated incident which I feel it is, I would not worry about it.

The most common cause is called "muscle fasciculation" or muscle twitch where some local muscles go with contractions and relaxations visible under the skin. You should contact Paediatrician if the condition becomes recurrent and persistent. She should have full neurological examinations, blood tests for blood sugar, thyroid function test, electromyography, nerve conduction studies, etc.

I hope your daughter will be better soon. Let me know if you need any more help.

Kindest regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor