Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
129 Doctors are Online

12 year old child, diagnosed with haemangioma of vastus medialis muscle. Surgery the only option ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 2130 Questions
My son, who is 12, has recently been diagnosed as having what doctors are quite sure is a haemangioma of his vastus medialis muscle and we have been advised to have an operation to remove it.
Is this the only/preferred option treat this?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 18 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.     

A hemangioma is an abnormal proliferation of blood vessels that may occur in any vascularized tissue of body.

"Hemangiomas" of musculoskeletal system are more accurately called as "vascular malformations." These are present from birth and do not involute spontaneously.

Hemangiomas occur most commonly in skin or subcutaneous tissue.

Skeletal muscle is the most common site for hemangioma of the XXXXXXX soft tissue.

Intramuscular hemangiomas may cause sign & symptoms such as pain and swelling for which patients seek treatment.

Surgical intervention is one mode of treating muscular haemangiomas .

Embolization is the another mode of treatment.

Embolization is the procedure in which abnormal vessels are closed off with various substances (e.g., alcohol, glue, coil).

Embolization is a way of occluding blood vessels that are doing more harm than good.

Various materials may be used, depending on whether vessel occlusion is to be temporary or permanent, or whether large or small vessels are being treated.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

Wishing your son Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor