12 Year old having heart problem. Feels dizzy, heart palpitation and weakness in leg. Should I be worried?

Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol

Cardiologist, Interventional

Posted on Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Hi My 12 Year old son for the past few 2 years has been having heart problems has passed out three times in the three years gets dizzy spells, very pale, heart palpatations, weak in the legs he can be sitting on the couch and you and can see heart beating through his tshirt and the side of neck. he also had a 24 hour holter monitor done the conclusions was. the average heart rate was 81. the minimum heart rate was 46 at 20:53 (8:53pm) the maxium heart rate was 173 at 05:02am. Pauses greater then 2.0 seconds were 0. ventricular ectopy was368, with 14 v-runs and 42 v-pairs, ventricular bigeminy events were 2 and venticular trigeminy events were 1. supraventricular ectopy was 2872, with 5 sv- runs, supraventricular bigeminy events were 197 and supraventricular trigeminy events were 16. st episode minutes totaled 0. also his QT 403 and QTc 437.
sinus rhythm. no pauses. infrequent ventricular ectopics. very frequent supaventricular ectopics 5 runs of atrial tachycardia, my question is dose this sound ok we have been told there is nothing to worry about and to just go to hospital if he passes out thanks for your time
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 49 minutes later
I could read the details here.
The Holter report looks quite OK for the age. Though there is little concerns on runs of SV as length or duration of same has not been clearly mentioned. Also you have mentioned he is having heart problem, I would like to understand if these are the only issues or has been having any diagnosed heart disease. Also what did his Echocardiogram show? Please revert back with information so that I should be able to better guide you.
Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 7 hours later
thank you he has not had a echocardiogram done yet. i have the the sve total 2872, sv- run 5 longest, sv run 6 beats at 3:06, XXXXXXX hr sv- run 103 bpm at 4:13, sve's per 1000/per hour 25/120, total aberrant beats/ runs 72/0. I aslso have the ve total is 368, v-pair total 42, v-run total 14, longest v-run 5 beats at 04:40, XXXXXXX hr v-run 256 bpm at 04:42, ve's per 1000/per hour 4/16, ventricular r on t 88. he hasnt been told he has a heart disease. he has dizzy spells all the time at least twice a week h has heart palpatations everyday, his heart races everyday and his heart pounds everyday where you can see his heart ppounding while sitting on a couch watching tv and you can also see it in the side of neck thank you
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 5 hours later
Hi and thanks for detailed report.

Holter report looks fine.

But considering the overall picture it looks as if we need to have his echocardiogram done. That's should give us information regarding his heart valves. If echo report also turns normal than may be there is nothing much to be done and as suggested regular follow up would suffice.

Hope this helps. Please get back to me with report.

Best Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 6 hours later
thank you for your time i will keep you posted on the echo gram when its done but im guessing i will be waiting a while for this but thank you so very much
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 24 hours later
You are welcome.

If you wish to keep me posted/ask for more medical assistance if further you can post your queries here
WWW.WWWW.WW
If I have answered all your queries and you do not have any further follow ups for now. Please close this discussion. Your reviews about this service are appreciated.

All the best!