Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

11 year old male, having curly genital and axillary hair, developing mustache. Normal for his age ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 297 Questions
My son is 11 years old.He has already curly genital and axillary hair.He is developing a faint mustache. Is that normal for his age?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 2 hours later
Thanks for the query.

I do understand that your son has started developing features of puberty and your concern is that whether it is normal for his age.

Puberty is transition from childhood to manhood. The changes in puberty include increase in height, appearance of axillary, facial and pubic hair, voice changes, increase in muscle mass and many more. It usually starts at the age of 12 years in boys. Growth of the testes is usually the first sign of puberty in the male.

Your son has some signs of puberty at the age of 11 years that could be a early puberty. He would require a clinical evaluation to assess his testis volume, growth potential and other pubertal status along with a bone age estimation.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor