11 y/o female, sore throat , anorexic, temp vacillates but
Possibly a viral infection
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.
I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Sore throat in children can be caused due to some viruses like Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) (causes mono), or some bacteria like Streptococcus (causes Strep throat). Irrespective of the cause, all you need to do is to gurgle with lukewarm water and recovery will occur in a week or so. If bacterial infection is suspected, antibiotics might need to be given.
If your child has fever with temperature more than 100°F, you need to give paracetamol or acetaminophen (P-250, Crocin or Tylenol) to it bring down. Also use tepid sponging. If paracetamol is not effective in bringing down the temperature, you need to use Meftal-P (mefenamic acid) which is more effective. The minimum gap between two doses of Crocin is 4-6 hours.
Please be patient. Let me know if I could help further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for autism spectrum disorder
- What causes loose stools post cesarean operation?
- Suggest treatment for rash on a 4 yr old
- What do light colored skin patches on thigh indicate?
- Suggest treatment for fever and sore throat in a child
- What causes swelling in head of an infant?
- Can Taxim O Forte and Vizylac be given together?
- Suggest treatment for anorectal malformation in a down syndrome child
- What causes vomiting after feeding breast milk?
- Suggest treatment for persistent high fever