10 years old. Diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension. Is the blood pressure of 156/90 high?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Question: My 10 year old daughter isn't feeling well. Because my 15 year old daughter has Orthostatic Hypotension, I often check their blood pressure when they feel poorly. Tonight, my 10 year old's blood pressure was 156/90 with a pulse of 88. She is 5'1/2" and weighs 72 lbs. (tall and thin)

Is this blood pressure reading high for her age, height and weight? She has no known chronic illnesses other than very mild asthma.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 41 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

The blood pressure of 156/90mmHg for your 10 year old daughter is high. You need to record her blood pressure for 2-3 days at different time of the day after she has rested for at least 15-20 minutes. If the pressure remains high then she needs to be examined by a doctor who shall get relevant investigations done.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to share any other relevant information for us to help you. You can revert back for any clarifications.

Wishing your daughter all the best...

RKK

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad