10 weeks old is fuzzy and not sleeping properly. What should I do?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: My 10 week old son has been very fussy lately. He used to eat every 3 hours and now he's eating up to every hour and a half. My pediatrician reccomended that I cut out dairy to help with his excess outputting (it was almost each diaper (10ish) in a 24 hour period) and his spitting up. I have only noticed a small imporvement. This also seems to have been aggrevated after his 2 months immunizations which he had 10 days ago, but I can't imagine he is still suffering residual effects. He also sleeps very little, only after breastfeeding and while I am still holding him. The minute he is moved into a crib (etc.) he is awake and won't go back down. He also feeds anywhere between 30-70minutes at a time. This is particularly difficult after his 3am feeding, where he feeds for 45 minutes and then is awake again 30 minutes later wanting to feed. I simply don't have the milk supply to continue this routine. What can I do so that he will sleep (somewhere other than in a persons arms) after being breastfed? Why is he feeding so often?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
I know it must be pretty hard on you to carry the baby and also keep feeding frequently!

I want to have a few clarifications from you.

1- does he feed well at a time or just goes to sleep after starting to feed?
In this case gently stimulate him to continue the sucking till you feel he had enough.

2- Do you feel that your breasts are empty before he completes one feed?
In this case, you may have to consider supplementary feeds.

3- Has he put on weight in these 10 weeks?

Inadequate milk means expected weight gain is not there
Also constipation is a sign that milk is inadequate.

However from your description, I get a feeling that now at 3rd months, may be your milk is not enough.
A hungry baby can not sleep!
Even though it is advisable to give only breast milk for 6 months
at least for various reasons, you can not do so if your milk is not enough.
Obviously you are trying your best!

So please think of adding supplementary formula milk ,may be 2or 3 feeds per day and see whether there is improvement.
You can keep one of this supplementary feeds by night ( by about 10 pm) to give you and the baby some rest.

All the best
Good luck

Dr Uma