Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

10 months child swallowed mosquito repellant cream. Suggest some remedy

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3620 Questions
Hi There
My 10 months old baby swallowed mosquito repellant cream. Please let me know any remedy. for this immediately.
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

The mosquito repellent cream usually contains a chemical called N-diethyl-benzamide or a similar analogue. This chemical causes weakness in the muscles and if the dosage is heavy it can cause difficulty in respiration as the respiratory muscles get weak.

I would strongly recommend you to take your child to the Emergency Room and get examined for danger signs and manage specifically.There is no home remedy you can try on a 10 month old child safely in home.

Do rush to the ER now
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: 10 months child swallowed mosquito repellant cream. Suggest some remedy 46 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

I Just called a doctor and check with him the same. He mentioned nothing to worry....

Please explain this contradiction .

Kind Regards,
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 minutes later

Mosquito repellent usually contains N-diethyl-benzamide or a similar analogue.This may in some brands be combined with mosquito contact inhalant poisons like allothrin which causes muscle and respiratory weakness.

In some brands like ODOMOS N-diethyl-benzamide is a lone content , though non toxic it can elicit a allergic or anaphylactic response in some if consumed orally or mixed with blood stream.

Since its a baby 10 months old, I would consider it would be safe for him to be examined once just to be sure there is no impending signs of allergy or stomach upset.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor