In today’s fast-moving world, prevalence of stress and disease has increased dramatically. It has been shown in research that disease, stress and emotional turmoils produce a change in breathing pattern. There is an increased need to resort to the good old methods of reducing disease that help harmonize the breath and body. The most commonly employed method is YOGA.
Health benefits of yoga
- To start with, it helps in having one’s own personal time every day and thus reduces the stress level, not to mention the breath regularising effect of yoga.
- Yoga is mostly understood as being limited to asanas (yoga poses). We fail to realise that each pose is done with breath regulation. This helps in uniting the body, mind and breath. By letting the person have more control over breath, yoga brings harmony in body and life.
- Its stress-busting effects can help raise the level of immunity.
- Sun salutations and kapal bhati pranayam are a nice way to reduce weight. Regular yoga also helps keep the extra pounds away.
- Yoga poses stretch and strengthen the muscles. Thus they also help in improving your sitting, standing and walking posture.
Experts believe that health is not a mere absence of disease. It is a dynamic expression of life – in terms of how joyful, loving and enthusiastic you are. Yoga, along with pranayama is considered a holistic package to achieve this state.