Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Worried about contracting HIV - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 40 Questions
User :   I
Doctor :   hi
User :   Hi good morning, doctor
Doctor :   .Dr. XXXXXXXX here.
Doctor :   how can I help you? please proceed with your health query.
User :   I have some health problem, i feel
User :   it happened that i had unprotected sex with one lady once
User :   anyhow, i feel that she has transmitted disease
Doctor :   ok
User :   one month after our physical interaction, i went to the hospital and had one medical check up, and the result showed negative.
Doctor :   what symptoms do you have at present?
User :   However, i am still worries about it.
User :   Today, i found there is very less sperm
User :   I do feel tired but i am wondering if it is because i am having kind of irregular life style
Doctor :   semen ejaculate can vary from 1 ml to 6.5 ml, do not be worried if it was within this range
User :   or, i do also have lot back pain, and i am not sure if all these are symtoms
Doctor :   how long back did you have the unprotected intercourse?
User :   It has been now around 4 months
Doctor :   does she have any STD or any other infection?
Doctor :   what investigations have you already done? what were the results?
Doctor :   please describe your back pain in detail
User :   I had the medical check up one month after our interaction and i am not sure if the result produced after one month can be a valid one for i heard the disease cannot be detected with six months
Doctor :   if you still suspect any infection, I would recommend you to get a screening for STD done which would include detection of all major infections
Doctor :   relax yourself, and maintain a healthy lifestyle with healthy food and sleep habits.
Doctor :   please describe your back pain in detail
User :   But would you see any such possibility for getting infected as i had the check up after one month
Doctor :   any unprotected intercourse can result in infection if the partner is suspected to have infection
User :   i understand that part, but wondering if the check up after one month would be a valid one or not
Doctor :   since you do not know the infection status of the lady with whom you had intercourse, getting the tests repeated will be beter
Doctor :   can you tell me what work up was done for you ?
User :   okay, see i am infected, then can it be treated, including HIV?
Doctor :   few infections do get detected at one month time. however it would help me answer you better if you can give me details/names of the tests done
Doctor :   along with the results of the tests
User :   I did HIV test and the result showed negative
Doctor :   was it PCR DNA TEST or ELISA test that was done for HIV?
User :   ELISA test
Doctor :   were other screening tests for the STD infections done at that time?
Doctor :   ELISA can be repeated after 3 months to see in=f there is any seroconversion. PCR DNA test done will confirm whether infection is there or not.
User :   No and i was just blood test and i do such blood test every year even if i do not interact with anyone
Doctor :   and if PCR DNA comes back negative at anytime, it would mean that you do not have HIV
Doctor :   in that case, get STD screening done too.
User :   Okay and may i know how much it could cost for PCR DNA test usually?
Doctor :   where are you located?
User :   I am located in
User :   I feel very easy to go for such test, and wondering if such test can be done from small hospital.
Doctor :   it would depend wher you rae getting the test done
Doctor :   few labs differ in costs
User :   I would prefer one major test
Doctor :   it would cost between 2400-4000 depending whether they do a qualitative test or quantitative test
Doctor :   it should be done in a standard lab
Doctor :   like
Doctor :   *diagnostics
User :   Okay and i would prefer one qualitative test, and could you recommend one?
Doctor :   contact any of these labs, and get the test done. You might require a prescription for it from your treating doctor, so get one from him/her before proceeding with it
Doctor :   ask for STD screening tests and PCR DNA test
User :   Doctor, i am just wondering if any such symtom would be reflected three months after unprotected intercourse.
Doctor :   other STDs if left untreated can be as dangerous as HIV, and produce worse complications and deformities
Doctor :   do not ignore them
User :   Okay, thanks lot doctor for your advice. however, what prescription is required.
Doctor :   I have asked you earlier about other symptoms and to describe your symptoms in detail, which would give me idea of what is happening.
User :   i feel tired is one symptoms and getting back pain is one sysptoms
User :   but i do not know how to detail them for it is very common expression for us
Doctor :   do you have any other symptoms like itching or burning when passing urine or semen ejaculation
User :   No and I do not have such problem and i have itching problem around my thigh, but i believe it is just skin problem
User :   I have had itching around my thigh long time back, even before i had this unprotected sex
Doctor :   ok
User :   since i am working on computer, and i sometimes excuse myself that is also one reasons
Doctor :   ok
User :   I do not want to infect any other person, and i want to make sure if i am infected or not. I can understand it might be risky to take any chance.
Doctor :   I understand that, and hence I suggested you the above mentioned test to go ahead with.
Doctor :   have you followed what I have said?
Doctor :   is there anything I can help you with?
Doctor :   I have to close the window as you are not responding. Please chat with our doctors 24/7 for medical queries.
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor