Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

What is the solution for slightly intoed foot in children? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 18-Dec-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Child Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
Doctor:How can I help you?
User:i have a daugter who is 2.4 yrs old
User:since few days i have observed that she is walking with her left foot slightly intoed
User:so i consulted an ortho
User:he suggested her gemcal syrup and Calcirol sachets..
User:daily one
User:and syrup twice daily
User:and he diagnosed it as rickets
User:so i am concerned about this...
Doctor:did he get some blood tests done to see the levels of Vitamin D3 and calcium levels?
User:about this as ...i observed that her left leg is slightly bent
User:no...he analyzed that there is deficiency of ca and vitamin d3 through his clinical examination
Doctor:So how can I help you?
User:i am very much worried...
User:and wanted to know if it is curable and wanted to have a second advice
Doctor:I suggest you get these blood tests done to be sure it is rickets
Doctor:once confirmed you can take it further
Doctor:but for the time being please continue the medicines
User:wht kind of tests do you suggest...
User:you mean to say that there is better medication that wth is suggested
Doctor:I have mentioned the tests
Doctor:you need to get total serum calcium level
Doctor:and Vitamin D levels
Doctor:once you get this done, you can consult the orthopedic doctor
Doctor:and I would also suggest you consult a pediatrician
User:if i remember once she was 3 months old said tht there was calcium defiency
User:and gave some syrups at that time
Doctor:then please do the tests and consult a pediatrician also
User:we even consulted a pediatrician as well...
User:he said tht calcirol will be the best one
User:but my point of concern is...if the bent leg will get corrected.. or not
Doctor:Once there is a deformity, it is difficult for it to get corrected onit's own
User:then what do you suggest sir
Doctor:I would still strongly advice you to get the tests done
Doctor:and then you should continue to give vitamin D and calcium supplements
User:is there any way physiotherapy could help?
Doctor:Physiotherapy will not help
User:even for the intoeing of the foot ...
Doctor:Intoeing of the feet can be corrected with applying a plaster cast
Doctor:and gradually making adjustments
Doctor:but this technique will not work for the bent legs
Doctor:the corrective surgery can be done only after the growth stops
User:how about a splint for the foot?
Doctor:No use
User:when will the growth stop?
Doctor:growth generally stops by 15 to 16 years in girls
Doctor:and 18 to 20 years in males
Doctor:but it can vary a little
User:could you pls suggest a good orthopedic doctor
User:here in hyderabad
Doctor:I am really sorry, I am from Bangalore
Doctor:so I do not know doctors in Hyderabad
User:fine doctor it was nice talking to you
Doctor:but if you have the option of fixing an appointment on your dashboard, you can request from that option
Doctor:you are welcome
Doctor:thanks for chatting
User:i will go ahead and do the tests first and then consult the doctor
User:Thank Q
User:thanks and bye
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor