Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

What causes small lump on the anterior portion of both lower legs outside of fibula? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 25-Mar-2014
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Lump
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2569 Questions
User:I have a small lump on the anterior portion of both lower legs that are just outside of the fibula. it generally only shows itself when I am active or squatting down. The lumps are both soft and tend to disappear during times of rest. What could this be?
Doctor:I have read your question,
User:Ok, I am XXXXXXX
Doctor:I feel the lumps you have noticed are lipomas
Doctor:they are fat lumps
User:Yes, this soft lump has appeared on both legs and is soft to the touch. It gets bigger when I run and when I exercise.
User:Ok, what is the next step. Is this dangerous?
Doctor:okay, If I may... when did you notice these lumps first?
User:They are in exactly the same spot on both legs. Is that common for lipomas?
User:I noticed them a few months ago
Doctor:it is uncommon for lipomas to be located at an exact spot on both sides, but can happen
User:No to the XXXXXXX part or being in the same spot?
User:ok ok
User:They have not seemed to have gotten any bigger at this point
Doctor:I will answer about the XXXXXXX part, but first I need a few more answers
Doctor:When you squat, can you feel any pulse in these lumps?
User:no. No pulse
Doctor:You said they don't seem to have gotten any bigger
User:I don't think so
Doctor:that means you noticed them recently, (a few months ago), it is quite possible that these lumps had been there for quite longer than that, but you did not notice them?
User:I don't think so because I am fairly active and I think I would've noticed them if they were their for a longer time
Doctor:do you have any pain in these spots?
User:There is not any pain
Doctor:Okay, I want you to fell them now, try and move them in all directions and see if you can move them in all directions
Doctor:I mean, feel them
User:It does not move. it only presses in with no pain
User:it does not even feel like a lump when I press on them
Doctor:can you hold these lumps between your fingers firmly?
User:not at all
Doctor:It feels like a very loose sac filled with water?
Doctor:am I right?
Doctor:Now I know what they are actually
User:what is that
Doctor:They are venous blowouts
Doctor:we call them venous blowouts
User:Thats exactly what I thought!!!
User:What do I do and who do I see
User:will it need surgery?
Doctor:You need to consult a general surgeon
Doctor:Not necessarily
User:I am seeing an orthopaedic surgeon on thursday...will this work as well?
Doctor:or you need to consult a vascular surgeon
Doctor:No, orthopedic surgeons don't deal with venous problems
Doctor:You will need to consult vascular surgeons or general surgeons
User:because it is on a vein, I should not have to worry about bleeding out if I run 3 miles or so right? only if it were on an artery??
User:Ok, I will consult a vascular surgeon.
Doctor:And if a surgery is planned, it is a very simple surgery wherein the communicator vein is just tied off
User:that is so very relieving to hear.
Doctor:Venous blowouts can bleed pretty badly too
User:are there other types of other treatments than surgery?
Doctor:Yes, sclerotherapy is an option
User:Will I notice if they begin to bleed? Bruising and swelling I presume?
Doctor:and embolization is another option
User:Any idea what a surgery like this would cost?
Doctor:Yes, you will notice immediate and rapid swelling
Doctor:I am sorry, I live in India, I can tell you the cost here
Doctor:I do not know which country you are from
User:I understand. XXXXXXX
User:United States
Doctor:okay, I am not very familiar with the costs in XXXXXXX
Doctor:I hope you have insurance
User:I do have insurance but it is not major medical insurance...I don't know if it will pay out
User:How likely is it that these spots will rupture?
Doctor:They only rupture if you get hit on the particular spot
Doctor:or if the skin becomes very thin over them, even scratching can cause severe bleeding
User:So, exercising is not likely to rupture the area?
Doctor:So, it always better to get these sorted out
Doctor:No, exercise is not likely to cause these to rupture
User:Oh yes. I will see a vascular surgeon very soon.
User:what were the treatment options you named again?
Doctor:One is subfascial endoscopic perforator vein surgery(SEPS) or direct perforator vein surgery
Doctor:second, injection sclerotherapy
Doctor:Third Perforator venous embolisation
User:If it were cancerous, I would be able to feel a hardened that correct?
Doctor:Yes, that is very correct
User:Great! Thank you for your help
Doctor:if you feel as if there is hole under the skin, it is nothing but a venous blowout
Doctor:You are most welcome
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor