Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

What causes shin splints? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 08-Apr-2014
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 106 Questions
Doctor:Please proceed with your query
User:I think I am suffering from Shin Splints
User:I run about 40 km/week
User:since january I couldnt run
User:when ever I run my lower legs are becoming heavy
User:I also noticed that there is a swelling on nerve in shin area
User:front side
User:I took about 6 weeks rest
User:and I tried to run yeterday. bust still ther i sno differance
Doctor:Do you mean its aching again?
User:yes doctor
Doctor:Have you seen a doctor to understand the cause of this pain?
Doctor:Do you have any known medical conditions in the past?
User:I had a pain in my calves in 2012
User:I consulted a doctor and I was told that when I run my left foot point out wards
User:i was suggested some exersices
Doctor:Do you have history of diabetes, high blood pressure, thryoid problems or vitamin deficiencies in the past?
User:after that I ran a full marathon in 2013
Doctor:Let me brief you.
Doctor:Shin splint is a medical diagnosis and without an opportunity to physically examine the affected area, it is inappropriate for me to arrive at the diagnosis.
Doctor:But based on your description, it does sound like the symptoms are aggravated by physical exercise.
Doctor:Now the treatment of all these exercise and stress related concerns are almost same.
Doctor:You would need to rest the area.
Doctor:If there is considerable swelling, you need to ice it.
Doctor:Pain medicines can give you temporary relief.
Doctor:But if the problem continues to persist, it requires to be evaluated and managed further.
Doctor:I would definitely like you to be seen by an orthopedic surgeon.
User:okay doctor
Doctor:He/she can physically examine the areas affected and acknowledge the trauma sustained.
User:can you suggest me a orthopedic surgeon in bangalore
Doctor:He/she might consider ordering for routine blood tests or an X-ray before arriving at a diagnosis.
Doctor:Accordingly a long term solution can be planned.
Doctor:May I know which part of Bangalore are you from?
User:I am from Vijaynagar
Doctor:I am not aware good specialist in that area of Bangalore. But if you are ok with other locations, I shall give you some names.
Doctor:Alternatively you may visit the nearest multidisciplinary hospitals and find the HOD of orthopedics there.
Doctor:Perhaps Global hospital is close to that part of town.
Doctor:You can try that or any other orthopedic centre.
User:thanks doctor
User:if you know any other doctor in Bangalore
User:can pleas tell me
User:travelling is not a big constraint for me
Doctor:Dr.R.D. XXXXXXX from Manipal Hospital, Dr. Thomash A Chandy from Hosmat Hospital are couple of doctors best in the city of Bangalore.
Doctor:you may try if one of these is close to your work location.
User:thanks doctor
Doctor:Alternatively Dr. XXXXXXX who practices at XXXXXXX Scanning and orthopedic centre
Doctor:at Vijayanagar can be available solution.
Doctor:Do you have any other questions?
User:no doctor
User:thanks for your suggestions
Question is related to
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor