Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

What caues swelling in hands and legs? - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 19-Nov-2014
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1775 Questions
Doctor:Please proceed with your query
User:Hi, my mother is suffering from legs and hands swelling. When she sits by bending in knees after a while her legs swells and she feels a pain in legs and knees. In case of hands when she does even a small amount of household works her hands swells.
User:She is 47 years old.
Doctor:I would like to know few more things before advising you
Doctor:Since when is she observing these symptoms?
User:last couple of years
User:she had tried several treatments but didnt work for her
User:currently she is undergoing ayurvedic medication
Doctor:What did the doctor diagnose the condition as?
User:Well they told its because of old age
Doctor:Did you see an Orthopedician?
User:nope, need your advice regarding the same.
Doctor:Were any investigations done?
Doctor:Any family history of similar symptoms?
Doctor:Is she diagnosed with hypertension, diabetes or any other medical condition?
User:no she is not.
Doctor:The swelling is only observed in joints and no other regions?
User:not joints
User:she feels pains in joints
User:but swelling on legs
Doctor:The pain in joints is present throughout the day or observed in morning and decreases as the day passes?
User:it is through out the day whenever she walks or does some legs movement
Doctor:Thanks for the details
Doctor:From the details, I feel that your mother might be suffering with arthritis.
User:oh no problem
Doctor:But need to differentiate the type of arthritis.
Doctor:For this X ray of the joints with few blood tests like sr calcium, vit D3, sr phosphate and RA factor is required.
Doctor:Along with these need to check her kidney function and liver function.
Doctor:I would advise you see an Orthopedician who will advise all the above along with general health checkup for liver and kidney conditions.
User:ok, do you suggest any hospital in Pune?
Doctor:I practise in XXXXXXX so would be difficult to suggest a hospital in XXXXXXX But any multispeciality hospital would do.
User:Alright, thank you so much for the advice!
Doctor:Thanks for visiting me here. Bye for now.
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor