Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Watery blister on lower back, itchy - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
User :   My 72yr old grandma has a watery blister on her lower back (right side), it does hurt but it does itch evry now and then. It feels a little tight around the borders and the blister spans about 4cm across and about 2cm wide, it is raised up to about a 1cm (maybe a little more) high. its really soft and transparent, so I cant see and signs of puss inside it. I'm not sure if its even considered a blister But I'm scared to pop it incase of infection since she has diabetes. What could this lump be? and how should it be treated?
User :   hi btw :)
Doctor :   H
Doctor :   Pls. give me few secs. to go through your query.
User :   I am AAAAAAA
User :   ok thats fine
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   I have gone through.
Doctor :   May I know if it is acute in origin ?
Doctor :   Any redness ?
Doctor :   or any other inflammatory sign s?
User :   yes, she showed me last night but it may have been longer like maybe 2days
User :   no redness or other inflammatory signs
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Any pain ?
Doctor :   or temperature ?
User :   no pain but she does have a headache since then
User :   it came up about the same time she started complaining she wasnt feeling well
Doctor :   Ok
User :   and i remember that night she also complaind about pain in her right abdominal area about the same level as the lump on her back
Doctor :   The most frequent cause of water blisters is repeated friction. Water blisters most commonly occur on the heel or the foot when someone is breaking in new shoes. When the water blisters burst, they can be painful, and those with diabetes need to be particularly careful to bandage blisters to prevent infections. Friction is, however, not the only cause of water blisters.
Doctor :   Ok.
User :   yes but this one in fairly large and raised
Doctor :   Ok, But the consisitency is watery , if I am right ?
User :   yes
User :   oval in shape
Doctor :   Does she have any eczema or any other skin problems ?
User :   no
Doctor :   Ok.
Doctor :   I would consider it as a lump in the back if it is below sub dermal level
Doctor :   as it is very superficial, it can be pilonidal cyst or blister
User :   pilonidal?
User :   so what can she do about it?
Doctor :   She has to take an antibiotic treatment for this , and if it doesnt decrease a surgical exceiission
Doctor :   a very small one though
User :   what about infection? so she should just go see a GP for the antibiotic then?
Doctor :   A dermatologist would be the right person for this
User :   is there a topical solution for this?
Doctor :   I shall prescribe you Cleomycin
Doctor :   but a topical would not be suffive , i feel
Doctor :   Cleomycin twice and hot and warm compresses
User :   i dont understand?
Doctor :   Please apply cleomycin and after that please apply a warm water sponging followed by cool water sponging
Doctor :   This releives the pain and also the blister.
User :   theres no pain -_-"
Doctor :   Thank you for consulting me.
Doctor :   Take care
Doctor :   Bye fo rnow'
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor