Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Wanted to know about Vasectomy in India. - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 26-Mar-2013
User rating for this question
Very Good Posted in: Men's Health
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions

I wanted to know about Vasectomy in India.

Operation procedure, time required, post operation precautions, subsequent sexual performance, Confirmation of success of operation, costs involved, rest required, and any other useful information related to this.

Doctor:Vasectomy is a minor procedure done under sedation / spinal anesthesia.
Doctor:While the whole procedure takes less than 30mins
User:What about the costs involved for that?
Doctor:You may be sedated for 1-2 hours.
Doctor:The cost of the procedure varies among different location.
Doctor:The average cost would be around 10,000 INR
User:If I talk about metro city and in a hospital having around 100+ bed then how much it can be?
Doctor:The exact cost varies among individual hospitals even in metro cities.
Doctor:I have given you the average cost.
User:Ok... what would be your suggestion to approach Government hospitals?
Doctor:You can get the exact cost from the individual hospital.
Doctor:The procedure is a simple one, performed by any surgeron.
User:How do we ensure success of the operation?
Doctor:Any experienced surgeon at Govt hospitals can also perform the procedure.
Doctor:Vasectomy is a permanent method of sterilization.
Doctor:Following the procedure for about 2-3 weeks
User:I understand...!
User:Do we get any kind of certificate after the successful operation?
Doctor:the semen collected in distal ejaculatory duct can cause pregnancy if sexual intercourse is attempted.
Doctor:hence we usually recommend to avoid sexual intercourse during this period,
Doctor:After this period, it has 99% effective in preventing pregnancy.
User:Ok... say for around a month or two we should avoid intercourse...
Doctor:Yes, if you do involve in intercourse, it needs to be protected using condom.
Doctor:You can involve in unprotected sexual intercourse after this period (usually it lasts for 2-4 weeks).
Doctor:Most men tolerate the procedure well and the success rate of prevention is close to 100% after a month following the proceduer.
Doctor:Have you followed?
User:How to ensure 100%...! Because, this 1% may become a problem... I already have 2 kids and don't want anymore...
Doctor:Do you have any other query?
User:Is there any way to check for this?
Doctor:If the procedure is performed well, the success rate is close to 100%.
Doctor:Sure, you can check for effectiveness by getting a semen analysis done.
User:Ok... how many times do we need to get it done?
Doctor:Following successful vasecotomy, we may not find any sperms in the semen.
Doctor:As I mentioned earlier, some amount of sperms may still be left behind in the ejaculatory tube following the procedure for 2-4 weeks.
User:So, what happens to the sperms? does the production stop?
User:If it doesn't, then how will it come out?
Doctor:You can get the semen analysis done after a months time, which can be repeated again if there is any further suspicion.
Doctor:It does not come out. It gets resolved inside the testis.
User:Does it harm the body in any manner?
Doctor:The process of new sperm formation and resorption continues.
Doctor:No, it does not cause any significant effects to the body.
User:I have heard that after this operation, men start getting erection problems... what is the ratio of this problem?
Doctor:Well, we can reverse the procedure if you wish to, later during the life too.
Doctor:Erection functions are maintained by mental and psychological factors; hormones, nervous as well as vascular factors.
Doctor:Upon successful procedure, there were a few men who reported erectile problems, but very often vasectomy is not the cause of erectile dysfunction.
Doctor:Rarely when there are injuries to surrounding structures like a nerve or blood vessels there may be some sexual problems arising.
User:Right, I understand
Doctor:But in the hands of an experienced surgeon, this possibility is minimized.
Doctor:Do not worry.
User:Whether you have any recommended doctors for this?
Doctor:Vasectomy is a safe procedure in the hands of an experienced surgeon.
User:whom we can contact for this purpose?
Doctor:Any surgeon is competent enough to perform this procedure.
Doctor:I think your doctor near your locality would be the best person to suggest you the best surgeon whom you need to consult.
User:Should it be General surgeon? Or should it be Sexologist? or any other type of surgeon?
Doctor:Both general surgeon or urologist is competent to perform the procedure.
Doctor:Perhaps you could talk to your family physician about the right choice of doctor near by your location.
Doctor:Have you followed what I have suggested?
User:Do you recommend any website to know the detailed procedure which provides opinions etc...for this surgery?
User:Yes, I could follow your suggestions
User:Thank you so much... Last question... will this require local anesthesia? or will it require full anesthesia?
Doctor:This is one website with reliable information about this procedure.
Doctor:Another one to help you.
Doctor:A full general anesthesia is not required.
User:Thank you so much for giving detailed information
Doctor:One can perform the procedure with local anesthesia with sedation.
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor