Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Visible veins on penis - Online Doctor Chats

Date : 21-Feb-2012
User rating for this question
Excellent Posted in: Penis Problems
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2582 Questions
User :   Hi, when I was young I learnt the wrong way to masturbate and one morning I woke up to find a big vein on the side of the shaft. The vein is highly visable when the penis is flaccid and erect.I did see a doctor when I was 21 but he did say it will heal over time but to this date I still have the problem. Is there any thing I can do?
Doctor :   Hi
Doctor :   I am
Doctor :   Let me read your query
User :   Hello
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Have you shown it to a Urologist before this?
User :   My current GP did refer me to a urologist, but when I was declined an appointment simply because my penis is fully functional. But neither my current GP or urologist have seen my penis
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   Does it disappear when the penis is flaccid?
User :   No it is still there when the penis is flaccid
Doctor :   Ok
User :   it does look quite bad when flaccid but when erect the vein goes blue and movable -- looks like a spongy grape
Doctor :   Ok
User :   actually it is also movable when flaccid
Doctor :   it does suggest a thrombophlebitis like situation
User :   what is this?
Doctor :   It is inflammation of the vein
Doctor :   in response to a blood clot or an injury
Doctor :   but it does settle usually in 4-6 weeks
User :   most likely cause an injury. The problem it's been about six years
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   And is there chance of repeated injury as well, making it remain longer?
User :   what do you mean by repeated injury?
Doctor :   meaning a strain over the part
Doctor :   vigorous masturbation also can make it more evident
Doctor :   you were mentioning about a faulty technique
User :   yes
Doctor :   could you elaborate that?
User :   Well I learnt the wrong way to masturbate when I was kid - not by hand but against a pillow.
Doctor :   Ok
Doctor :   There is nothing like a wrong or right practice
User :   okay
Doctor :   so, it should not be a problem
Doctor :   the basis is stimulation for ejaculation
User :   right okay. What should be my next course of action to find out what the problem is? Should I go for a private consultation with a different doctor to my GP?
Doctor :   You should consult a Urologist directly, if possible
Doctor :   if referral is mandatory, then you should visit the GP first
Doctor :   Because the procedure differs across different part
Doctor :   'parts of the world
User :   I tink referral is mandatory in the .. I have spoken to my current GP about it but she did refer me to a urologist but my case was dismissed without anyone of them having a look at my penis
Doctor :   Ok, you should try it out again
Doctor :   or another option
Doctor :   is to send a pic to our Urologist
Doctor :   and get an opinion over phone or mail
User :   That will be great. Is there a reference number i can get or email address?
Doctor :   I shall give you the necessary link
User :   thank you
Doctor :   WWW.WWWW.WW
User :   thank you Dr. I will email Dr ...shortly. Thank you for your time.
Doctor :   Thanks for consulting me, bye for now
User :   bye
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor